Wiki Posts
Search

No AA NYC-ATL non-stops!!??

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2024, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
No AA NYC-ATL non-stops!!??

OK. I'm scheduled on an AM JFK-LHR next month and up pops a meeting I need to go to in Atlanta. Me thinks, easy. Slide the euro flights back one day and just pop down on a day trip to ATL. So I fire up aa.com to see what the flight options are from LGA. No non-stops. Disconcerting but hey, let's look at all NYC airports. Zero, nada, bupkis.

I'm semi-retired so I don't fly as much as I used to but it blows my mind that AA doesn't have a single non-stop to Atlanta. I can understand AA not competing with DL for the O&D business but you'd think if only for the JFK connecting pax there'd be some non-stop.
Old May 3, 2024, 2:45 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Apparently, coming from Europe they'd rather you fly through PHL if you want to make onward connections.
dw, Auto Enthusiast and hhdl like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:14 pm

They had flights up until about 18 months ago at which point they came off the schedule never to be seen again
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
There's a lot of competition on the NYC-ATL route (including Frontier, Spirit, and Southwest), so perhaps AA decided that it was not a moneymaker.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The Shocking Way Delta Moved To Dominance In New York, While Competitors And DOT Slept
Old May 3, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I think AA gave ATL to B6 during the NEA and never restarted service. At the same time, some nice routes AA did start (such as IAH) were cut.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:13 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by JMN57
I can understand AA not competing with DL for the O&D business but you'd think if only for the JFK connecting pax there'd be some non-stop.
AA has been phoning it in for a long time in NYC, which is why so many local passengers have moved on to DL. Now, Vasu is only interested in running E175s in/out of sunbelt cities.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

but you'd think if only for the JFK connecting pax there'd be some non-stop.
For those having to connect, there are other connection points that they can use. New York isn't a major AA location

For ATL from New York, I suspect that there are plenty of flights available on DL
Old May 4, 2024, 8:35 am
Original Poster

I realize that NY is less a location for AA these days. As much as I have an apartment in Manhattan most of my flying is out of PHL (where our main home is) and I mainly fly out of NYC when we head to our place in Italy (as MXP is a cxn out of PHL as opposed to a non-stop from JFK) or if we want to take the AM flight to London. So I haven't really been tracking the domestic network out of NYC. As I said, I'm really surprised that one can't get to a major city like Atlanta non-stop from NY. But hey, it is what it is.
Old May 4, 2024, 2:10 pm

As I said, I'm really surprised that one can't get to a major city like Atlanta non-stop from NY. But hey, it is what it is.
You can - there are 4 airlines that I can see from EF that fly non stop from the New York area

Looking at Friday,
Delta has 14 flights from LGA, 7 from JFK, 6 from Westchester and 9 from Newark
Jet Blue has 6 from JFK and 4 from LGA
Southwest has 4 from LGA
United has 8 flights from Newark

That is 58 non stop services available that day. Not all airlines are going to fly all routes.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You can - there are 4 airlines that I can see from EF that fly non stop from the New York area

Looking at Friday,
Delta has 14 flights from LGA, 7 from JFK, 6 from Westchester and 9 from Newark
Jet Blue has 6 from JFK and 4 from LGA
Southwest has 4 from LGA
United has 8 flights from Newark

That is 58 non stop services available that day. Not all airlines are going to fly all routes.
I should have been more precise. Yes, other airlines cover the route NS but I was saying with AA. Of course, you're right that not all airlines go from a-to-b but it certainly demonstrates where NYC metro sits on AA's list when it doesn't do NS service to the eighth largest metro area in the US.
Old May 4, 2024, 5:23 pm

There are lots of cities that are not hubs for AA. Going from a non hub on a longer distance journey to a non hub, it does not seem surprising that there isn't a non stop service offered by AA

There are lots of options for travel to Atlanta - if AA was to decide to offer more services from New York, competing to a major hub of a competitor might not be the best choice

Book DL and there is almost hourly service. If desperate to fly on AA, there will be options via one of its hubs
Old May 4, 2024, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are lots of cities that are not hubs for AA. Going from a non hub on a longer distance journey to a non hub, it does not seem surprising that there isn't a non stop service offered by AA
We all know that AA has declined in NYC, but to see someone casually terming it a non hub is shocking. It is definitely still a hub according to standard sources, including AA itself. Moreover, here are the spokes (non hubs) that AA currently serves nonstop from NYC (per Wikipedia):

Antigua, Aruba, Asheville, Austin, Barcelona, Bermuda, Birmingham (AL), Boston, Buenos Aires–Ezeiza, Buffalo, Cancún, Charlottesville (VA), Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbia (SC), Columbus–Glenn, Dayton, Delhi, Des Moines, Detroit, Fayetteville/Bentonville, Georgetown–Cheddi Jagan, Grand Rapids, Greensboro, Greenville/Spartanburg, Indianapolis, Knoxville, Little Rock, Louisville, Madrid, Memphis, Mexico City, Milan–Malpensa, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Montego Bay, Montréal–Trudeau, Nashville, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Orange County, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Pittsburgh, Punta Cana, Raleigh/Durham, Richmond, Roanoke, St. Louis, St. Thomas, San Francisco, São Paulo–Guarulhos, Toronto–Pearson, Tulsa, Wilmington (NC), Worcester

ATL is one of the most glaring unserved destinations. This is not analogous to expecting a nonstop AA flight to ATL from, say, BOS or PIT (actual non hubs with only a few point-to-point routes).

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; May 4, 2024 at 6:39 pm
Old May 4, 2024, 8:02 pm

I meant to say not a major hub - I know that AA does have services from New York to other locations.

As far as places to compete on - Atlanta wouldn't seem one of the best choices against nearly hourly services by one competitor and 2 others also serving the route
Old May 5, 2024, 1:26 am

I realize that NY is less a location for AA these days. As much as I have an apartment in Manhattan most of my flying is out of PHL (where our main home is) and I mainly fly out of NYC when we head to our place in Italy (as MXP is a cxn out of PHL as opposed to a non-stop from JFK) or if we want to take the AM flight to London.
I hope you don’t drop these facts in in the same way at parties…
sushanna1, joeyE and coleslaw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.